Tirana loves you! Tips to spend St Valentine day
Albanians discover this festive day only in two last decades, after communism fall. Love and family are highly appreciated among Albanians. That’s why nowadays Valentine’s Day has become very important date. People plan at least a month before where to go, what to buy and what to do with their beloved partner. Many people choose this day to propose their partner for a marriage. This trend is growing among young Albanians
Here are some tips to inspire you for a memorable Valentine’s day in Tirana and surroundings:
During the day
A romantic dinner with your partner: Restaurants are offering good prices, delicious menus, and are well prepared for this day, offering live music, incentive games for couples etc . People prefer restaurants outside Tirana for dining as: Iluminatum, Dreri, Paradise, Prince park, Xibraku, etc, while some classic restaurants with fine italian cuisine are in walking distance from center of Tirana like: Delicatezze Di Mare, Melograno, Ottium, L’Amor, and traditional one like Era, Oda, etc.
Dajti Mountain: Good escape in the fresh air, hopefully there is still some snow
- Durres beach: is always a good idea, a tasty meal with fresh seafood and romantic walk by the beach makes a bond
- Tirana big park: It the favorite place for those who want to show their love. Just a simple walk around the lake, buy a bouquet of mimosa flowers, or grabbing some from the trees, and having a good coffee or drink near the lake as the sun sets down
In the evening
Concerts/ theaters: Some people prefer to spend their Valentine, watching a movie, or a theater or a concert. There are some concerts and art event in planed on the day, and the event announced by the municipality “Tirana gives love”
- Discos/ Night life- Especially young couple prefer to go in a disco or in a pub, or karaoke, having drinks and dancing all the night
- Hotels themselves offer very competitive packages with discount prices for stays on that date, combined with dinner and relaxing packages (sauna, massage et). Hotels with good offer are : Sheraton, Rogner, Theranda hotel, Xheko Imperial etc.
- Traveling, if you want to spend an weekend, there are packages from travel agencies with very good prices for a St Valentine day.
Flowers are the most important and popular gifts, and Albanian women loves them, parfumes, rings and other jewelries, watches, but even dresses or shirts for men or tailored hand made gifts.
Top 5 things to do in Tirana for Christmas:
Museum /Galleries. You can visit National Museum and Art Gallery. In a half day walk you can see the Clock Tower, Skanderbeg Square, Ethem Bay Mosque and Pyramid. During these days there are open many exhibitions and art galleries in Tirana. There are some festive concerts organized from Tirana Municipality.
We suggest you to see the Christmas lights and décor from Skanderbeg square to Mother Teresa Square including the Christmas market there. You can enjoy the lively night life, a hot coffee or Albanian wine and why not an ice skating in the open area. From there you can walk to Bllok area to enjoy life music, lively bars and restaurants.
Where to eat
Tirana is a great place for food. Very good restaurants of Italian and Albanian cuisine for reasonable prices. We suggest Pizzeria Era, Juvenilja, Oda restaurant, Tajvani restaurant etc. For drink you can choose Sky tower a rotating bar, but also many bars in Block area. The street food also tastes great, especially byrek.
A view from above
You can take the cable car and climb to Mountain Dajti, wonderful experience. Enjoy the view of Tirana from Dajti Mountain and also eat traditional lunch at the restaurant on the top; play with snowballs and ride a horse. You can go to Petrela Castle, have a good lunch and enjoy the view of Tirana.
You know Tirana is just 30 minutes from Durres, and the same distance from Kruja. In Durres you can walk on the beach, visit Durres Roman amphitheater, second biggest in Balkans, have a tasty seafood lunch. In Kruja you can visit Skanderbeg Castle. You can also do daily trips to Shkodra, or Berat.
Check for other itineraries here http://www.tirana-hotel.com/tours-to-tirana